domingo, 8 de marzo de 2009

ENGLISH 11 GRADE: Simple And Complex Sentences

Simple Sentences

A simple sentence is a sentence structure that contains one independent clause and no dependent clauses.

Examples:


The singer bowed.
This simple sentence has one independent clause which contains one subject, singer, and one predicate, bowed.

The baby cried.
This simple sentence has one independent clause which contains one subject, baby, and one predicate, cried.

The girl ran into her bedroom.
This simple sentence has one independent clause which contains one subject, girl, and one predicate, ran into her bedroom.

In the backyard, the dog barked and howled at the cat.
This simple sentence has one independent clause which contains one subject, dog, and one predicate, barked and howled at the cat. This predicate has two verbs, known as a compound predicate: barked and howled. This compound verb should not be confused with a compound sentence. In the backyard and at the cat are prepositional phrases.

Complex Sentences

A complex sentence is a sentence with an independent clause and at least one dependent clause (subordinating clause). The dependent clause is introduced by either a subordinate conjunction such as although, or because or a relative pronoun such as who or which.

Examples:

When I saw what you have done, I was happy.
Independent clause:
I was happy.
Dependent clause: When I saw what you have done

That you love me makes me happy.
A complex sentence with a sub-clause functioning as a subject.
Independent clause: (subject) makes me happy.
Dependent clause: That you love me (acting as the subject)

It makes me happy that you love me.
A clefted complex sentence with a sub-clause indicating what the dummy pronoun "It" refers to.
Independent clause: It makes me happy.
Dependent clause: that you love me

The book is where you have put it.
A complex sentence with a sub-clause functioning as subject complement. "Be" is a copula verb; it links the sub-clause to the subject.
Independent clause: The book is (complement).
Dependent clause: where you have put it (acting as the complement)

0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

Template e Layout by Blografando2008 Immage Adele Zolea